Thursday, March 27, 2014

To Listen


She arrived at 7:36 tonight.   Usually I sit warming my hands on my tea for close to twenty minutes before she shows up.  But since the one morning she stood me up completely, she's mostly been on time.  After paying for her meal, she sits across from me.

The conversation begins as usual…how much homework she has, what her shifts at work have been like, the life of a college student.  I listen.  Ask a few questions.  We began meeting in December and this is what I do - listen.  I am sometimes surprised that she continues to meet with me.  

Then, just before the time winds down, she mentions it again.  "You know, I've never had a good friend.  In high school, friends came for a couple of weeks and then moved on to someone new.  I've always wanted someone to talk to, I guess.  Someone who would just let me say whatever I need to say.  I can't talk to my sister.  And definitely, not my mother.  They would try to tell me what to do, and that's not what I need.  I just need someone to listen."

And I realize it's her way of thanking me.  Her effort at giving me a compliment.  So I take my mug in my hands one more time, bring it to my mouth, and listen as her words pour out.  

1 comment:

  1. ...this is really pretty cool, I'm glad that you have this friendship and she has you in her life.

    ReplyDelete