Monday, March 24, 2014

Purple Pens

I am a pen lover.  I have to confess.  Walking into stationary stores to gaze at the displays of brightly colored pens lining the walls is one of my favorite past times.  Trying out different sized pens with various grips - triangle shaped, sticky rubber barrels or miniature sized writing instruments are so tempting.  There are the varied new colors as well:  aqua, gold, various purple hues.  Each yells out to me from its neatly-shapen container, "Come buy me!  You know you'd love to write with me!"

Invariably, I give in.  I sit in my office, fresh sheet of paper on the table and remove the lid.  I slide the ink across the page in an angled line and admire how the fresh sheen of it slowly transforms to a matted shade of color as it dries into the paper.  My words literally take form, shape and color as my hand creates the letters on the page.

Is this creation at its finest?  Making something out of nothing. Something my own.  And it all began with a purple pen in an aisle of a stationary store.

1 comment:

  1. What a neat little slice! A good pen can be a muse, I think, because the enjoyment of using it translates to your writing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete