Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Sun Drenched Scones




I told myself yesterday that I wouldn't bake today.  I'm too tired.  Too much to do.  "I'll enjoy the time a lot better if I don't put any pressure on myself to bake," I reasoned.  But I did.

It all began with a simple text from Mary.  "Will you please bring your homemade devonshire cream?  I love it!"  Well, there's just no sense making devonshire cream from scratch if you're just going to turn around and put them on Panera scones!

After returning from the market this morning at 8:00 a.m. (while on my vacation, nonetheless), I soon had made a fine mess in the kitchen.  Food processor down.  Oven on.  Mixing spoons and measuring cups strewn.  I mechanically read through the recipe and put the ingredients together.

Then, it happened.

In what seemed a frozen moment in time, I saw my scones, drenched in sunlight sitting on the oven, just waiting for a smile and a little love.  "This is it," I realized.  "This is my morning, and I can either infuse some love into these bits of dough, or miss it completely."

And so, with an air-blown smooch I sent my cranberry triangles into the oven.  And they smiled right back.

1 comment:

  1. I love the line Mixing spoons and measure cups strewn. Such an image that I can relate too! Oh and this one too : I saw my scones drenched in sunlight sitting on the oven. I love the personification!

    ReplyDelete