Sunday, March 2, 2014

Shamrock Shake


It felt as if we returned back to our dating life, sitting in our car in the McDonald's parking lot.  I'm grinning ear to ear, holding my Shamrock shake.  He's turning on the tunes on the radio, making sure I'm comfortable and that the seat warmer is operational.  I offer to remove the "foreign object" of a cherry from his chocolate shake.  He quickly agrees and opens up the bag of fries.  Oversalted, but warm, we enjoy our fast food indulgence as the rain decorates the windshield with polka dot patterns.

It seems that we spent many evenings this way at the beginning of our relationship.  We were pleased just to be  together, privacy of our car, eating whatever was fast and available.  And here we are twenty years later, drinking shakes and munching on fries, salt-strewn hands brushing up against each other in the bag.  Less words are needed now, but more deeply understood.

I'm thankful that the simple times continue to hold so much meaning for us both.  We're healthy.  We still enjoy each others' company.  Even with shakes and fries for dinner, I live a rich life.

1 comment:

  1. I love this line: salt-strewn hands brushing up against each other in the bag. I ditto this sweet post in my life :)

    ReplyDelete