Sunday, March 30, 2014

Runny Eggs

He calls me over to the table and I sit.  We slept in and took some time to lounge this morning, so I am definitely hungry.  He's made eggs.  For both of us.  Previously, his breakfast foods have been limited:  French toast, pancakes, waffles, cereal.  Notice a theme?  Yes, none of the list are savory and none of them include eggs.  He's not an egg man.

He's prepared them the way I like - over easy.  One and a half over easy eggs cheerily smile up at me accompanied by slices of his homemade sourdough bread, toasted.  With a breakfast this lovingly prepared, it has to be a great day.  We linger over our meal.  I'm savoring every bite and he is persisting through it, trying to train his taste buds, forcing his mind to expand to include something different.

He consistently surprises me and affirms my respect and love.  What habit have I settled into that needs to be expanded?  What line of thinking have I let sink in so deeply, that I have not allowed myself room to grow?  I'd like to notice…and make room for a bit of change.

3 comments:

  1. So sumptuously described and with such a relaxed tone that I feel like I've just been served my own breakfast. :) Hope the rest of the day was just as enjoyable and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it sound so delicious, even though it isn't my fav. treatment of eggs. Great descriptive piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post full of vivid imagery. I loved how you described each detail and ended with a reflection on your own habits. As someone who doesn't like eggs, I can appreciate the fact that he tried them today! I'm not ready. :)

    ReplyDelete