Thursday, March 20, 2014

Moving On


I thought I'd never get it away from him.  Monkey-man.  Originally, Monkey-man was a Valentine's day gift from my husband over twenty-seven years ago.  He rode in my first car on the stick shift.  He accompanied me to my college dorm.  He made his way to our honeymoon in Cancun.  And he made it into the heart of our terrier.  Into his heart, and into his mouth.

Monkey-man provided Pal with many hours of pleasure - as a playmate for tug-of-war, as a chew toy for solitary afternoons, as a "come and catch me" tease.  Pal even took Monkey-man to bed with him.  

I couldn't look at Monkey-man lately without grimacing a bit.  He was well loved and well worn.  So, I replaced him.  I found a fox at the pet store and brought him home to Pal.  I thought I'd have to bribe Pal to accept the new toy.  I assumed he would protect his old friend and hesitatingly move on to the newer toy.  I was completely wrong.  Pal opened his heart and mouth to Fox, never glancing back to say good-bye to his old friend.

Maybe some changes should be like that.  Maybe sometimes, you need to just accept with thanks, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment