Thursday, March 13, 2014

Street Corner Entertainer

Most days I take the same route home.  Most days it takes thirty minutes longer than I would like.  Most days I wait at the left turn signal on Rosemead and Whittier a few times through.  Most days it's pretty boring.  But not today.

Today there was a sign-twirler on the corner.  Yes.  (Is that what the official job description reads?)  He was outfitted in long, black, baggy shorts, a red athletic t shirt and open-tongued black tennis shoes with red laces.  His sign - a red arrow on one side and a black arrow on the other.  He was dressed for the job!

Move #1 - He threw the arrow at least five feet above his head, twirling all the while it soared up and down in the air.  He caught it.  Then did a 360 with the sign low behind is back, and knelt down in a posing posture as his sign pointed straight up into the air.  Camera ready!

Move #2 - He threw the spiraling arrow slightly above his head.  Next, he caught the arrow with his right foot just before it hit the ground.  With the same foot, he tossed the arrow back up above his head in the same twirling motion as when it first hit his foot.  Finally, he caught the arrow with both hands while his legs jumped apart and he strummed his sign like a guitar.  Music ready!

Move #3 - He slid the arrow along the floor several feet down the sidewalk.  Immediately after, he ran alongside it while waving his hands.  When he timed it just right, he jumped onto the moving sign and slid about a foot or so, riding his arrow along the gray cement.  Beach ready!

On the third green arrow, I maneuvered my car through the signal.  Rolling down the passenger's side window, I tapped my horn, waved at my entertainer, and smiled.  This driver is thankful he stood at the corner today.  Does it matter that I have no idea what his arrow said?

2 comments:

  1. Now there is someone who goes the extra mile for their job! How fun to watch! I'm glad it brightened your normally boring commute home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that he didn't do any dropping and causing any accidents. I feel so sad for those people who have to stand out and hold signs every day... at least he was enjoying it. xo

    ReplyDelete