Saturday, March 15, 2014

Dirty Fingernails




Being outdoors is something I miss.  Any kind of outdoor activity will fit the bill for me:  riding my bike, hiking along a trail, walking my dog or running around the local college.  It seems somehow that I've allowed myself to be trapped in walls with wifi access for the past seven months.   This morning felt no different.  Spending time at a friend's shower was a pleasure, but I felt confined within walls once again.

Enter my home.  Quick change of clothing.  Exit into the yard.  I'm not even close to a gardener, but the lure of the sun was strong.  For forty minutes, at least, I found myself bent over in a shady part of the yard, pulling up weeds, turning off my brain, focusing on identifying the weed compared to the nearby plant.  I've sorted incorrectly before.

About halfway in, I heard it.  One single bird chirping out a tune as a soundtrack to my pleasant chore.  How many birds have I missed over the past seven months?  What other calls from my universe have I failed to hear?  

After completing three hours of various weed-pulling, dead-leaf gathering, watering and birdbath filling pleasures I now have my feet up on the couch.  Satisfied.  Dirt under fingernails bliss.  Perhaps it's true that there's a stress-relieving chemical found in the soil. I think I'll leave it there.  At least for tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I have never wanted to be outside doing outdoorsy things as much as I long to be outdoors right now. This winter has been so long out here on the East Coast. I saw my tulips and daffodils coming out of the ground this morning. There is hope... I won't be indoors forever.

    Hope you enjoyed the rest of your Saturday outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I really yearn of the outside too....the smells and the sweet song of spring. xo

    ReplyDelete