Saturday, March 8, 2014

Tasting Resentment

Bread.  It's been his obsession.  Learning how to create his own sourdough loaf from his own yeast starter.  I couldn't believe that he would begin this labor five days before Christmas.  Really? Really.

I've witnessed his three-times-a-day feedings since the inception of the grapes/flour/water concoction.  For fifteen days.  I overheard the questions from friends when we stayed in their home over the New Year's holiday.  Yes, he brought "the baby" with us.  I've strapped myself in the car as he raced us home, due to a later-than-desirable feeding time.

I've wondered…really?  Is this the highest priority of the day?  I can think of a million other things that I would prefer you use this time for:  weeding the yard, putting up baseboards, cleaning out the storage shed, picking out a light fixture.  He continues to bake.

I've watched as others are able to enjoy his bread, free of the taste of resentment.  Spreading the butter on the warm slice they comment on its texture, the nutty taste and the thorough goodness they're enjoying.

Bread.  Such a simple pleasure.  Really.

8 comments:

  1. Hobbies...fun! I have thought about making bread like this, but I know the daily labor involved, so I haven't been willing to do it. At least, you have a guy who is willing to stick to something for the long haul! That's a great quality in a husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun read! I was toying at the idea to do the same thing as your husband with the sourdough bread....now I might not. I can just see you strapped in as you quickly take off so he can feed the baby! Reminded me of when my father got into baking sugar pies....trying to find a recipe just like his mother's. Thanks for the smile. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avery intense process and such perseverance from your hubby, but the end result must be such satisfaction on his part. I could almost smell the baking of the bread, slicing into it and taking that first bite. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would he say your 'baby' is?

    My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! I can think of a whole lot worse hobbies he could have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is a hobby hopper. Baking bread was once a hobby. We still have all the pans and the book he poured over every time. Now it's hammering metal into jewelry. I have to say that the baking of the bread was much quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing and wonderful...I could taste it in your 'slice'. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband's hobby is playing the Clash of Clans with people around the world. At least you can taste the resentment and it sounded yummy. As for me, I can only feel the resentment.

    ReplyDelete